Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Book Review - Bounce by Natasha Friend


Evyn received the absolute worst present for her 13th birthday. Her father has informed her that he is marrying his girlfriend, Eleni, and that Evyn and father and brother Mackey will be leaving Maine and moving to Boston to live with Eleni's family. Talk about dropping a bombshell. Now Evyn has to leave her best friends and her big comfortable house and move into the city, where she will share a room with the twins. In addition to the twins, there are four more new step siblings Evyn is forced to deal with. To make matters worse, she has to go to private school, where all the girls look like they stepped out of an Abercrombie catalog, with perfect headbands holding back their perfect hair. Evyn feels like she doesn't fit in anywhere, not in her new home, or her new school, or around her own brother, who has transformed himself for computer geek to hot shot thespian. Even her beloved father is like a stranger to her, having gone from hippie to preppy ever since the move. The only thing that makes Evyn feel better is having late night conversations with her mother -- who died when Evyn was just a baby. Through these late night talks Evyn slowly begins to warm up to her new family and her new life.

This is a really great story, and Evyn is a funny and likable character. I read Natasha Friend's last book, Lush, right before this, and I really like her writing style and her storytelling Both Lush and Bounce are both quick and fun reads. Take them home today!

7 comments:

Pinkpixy1995 said...

I really liked Bounce because the story and the situations that Evyne went through are every day thing many girls and boys go through. I think that Natasha did a brilliant job interpreting what she thought a kids life could be like.

Anonymous said...

Bounce is a real page-turner! You get so into it! Lush & Perfect (also by Natasha Friend) are must-reads too!

Anonymous said...

I think that all of the books that Natasha has written are amazing; in some way the 2 books that i have read from her "Perfect" that book was amazing and i could relate alot it made me feel better about myself and made me want to change and "lush" was right next in line with what i was going threw it was almost as if you were writing about me, anyway i would love to read this book "bounce" im heading to the store tomorrow and im picking it up.

Thanks for the great stories i really hope you keep writing : )

Anonymous said...

I think that Bounce is a really great book that you can make connections to in everyday life. For example many peoples parents are divorced and get re-married. You get really into Bounce, or at least I know i do. I think that this book is a great read for the age groups between 10-13 maybe even only 10-12 depending on your reading skills. I really recomend this book to anybody who loves a great story and who is in the age group I said. I think that Natasha Friend is one of the best authors Iv'e ever read and it just makes me so very happy when I opened the book and I read hundreds of pages. I am the type of person who doesn't really get into books but by reading this book it proved to me that I really can get into a book. Bounce is an amazing story that is so real!

Anonymous said...

oooooooo ui have to readd this booooooookkkkk

Anonymous said...

this was a grat book and for my book report i got a A omg it is the best book becaude i ca relate to it soo much

Anonymous said...

anyone know wat the mean, popular girl's name is?