Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Book Review - The Boy Who Dared by Susan Campbell Bartoletti



Helmuth is young when Hitler comes to power in Germany. He is excited and feels that Germany will improve. He is happy to join the Hitler Youth. However things start to change and Helmuth begins to doubt the sincerity of Hitler and his goal for a great Germany. In Nazi Germany it is illegal to listen to foreign radio or read foreign books. You are watched and monitored by the Gestapo. Family members are reporting other family members as enemies of Germany. Innocent people are beaten until they admit to a crime that they didn’t commit. Helmuth can’t stand it and feels the need to do something. He begins to challenge the government, what he does is treasonous. He can be killed for what he does. He takes a stand with dire consequences.

This is an excellent book that is based on a true story. One boy in Hamburg, Germany needed to try to change things. One person can make a difference. It has a little bit of a slow start, but it is all the more compelling because it is based on a true story.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the book

Victor Garcia said...

i like it...great book... but its historical fiction...not 100 percent true.

Anonymous said...

an inspiring book ... and suspensful.
one of my favorite books :)
:}
:]

Anonymous said...

I loved this book!!
It made me cry hystericly for 20 minutes, but that might be just me lol.

Anonymous said...

this is book is great. i like this book although some historical stuff ain't 100 percent true but i still like it.

Anonymous said...

This was a great book. it was a very insparational book even though it was Historical Fiction...

haley said...

This book was absolutely amazing to say the least! So far I've read it three times and cried like a baby in the process( when I say cry like a baby, I mean waterworks for half an hour). I was very inspired by Helmuth Hubener, and I'm actually sort of obsessed with him now(which is very sad). This book was not only the best book I have ever read, but it's also a book that made me love reading. The only bad thing about that is that I'll only read The Boy Who Dared or anything else about Helmuth and his friends. But it's still an awesome book!!! BTW, my sister loved it and cried too, although she tried to control herself!

Devan said...

I give this book a thumbs up!